Tuesday, February 21, 2012

A Namibian Birthday

On February 16, I celebrated my 22nd Birthday day. It was the best birthday I have ever had. I was so fortunate to get to celebrate it with my learners. When I arrived at school I was greeted by my learners, who instantly wished me a happy birthday. All day I had learners I knew and learners I did not know coming up to say happy birthday to me. I also got many cards and birthday hugs. One of my learners got me a plant and one of my boys got me a set of multicolored heart barrettes. I was just in an incredibly good mood all day. I could not stop smiling. One of my learners even asked me why I was so happy. I told him, "It's my birthday, can't I be happy on my birthday?"

I brought my homeroom, 5C, learners cake. However, since there are about 43 learners in that class, there is a rule put in place by my teacher for who gets cake. On a girl's birthday the girls get cake and on a boy's birthday the boys get cake. Therefore, only the girls brought cake, but I brought some sweets for the boys.

So I got cake and I also got sung to by all of my classes. I was just so happy that I got to spend my day with my amazing learners.

After school I went with Liz and our school's guidance counselor on a home visit. We visited one of my grade 5 students, who I teach English to at Steenkamp and I also have at the BNC.   It was so nice to see that Mousie was concerned about Odette's education and well-being. She asked us if Odette talked too much in class and her face lit up when we told her that Odette was always very focused in school and set a good example.

Mousie, lives with her four children in a room that is probably about the size of my dining room at home.The room contained a queen sized bed, a dresser, a fridge, and a table with hot pots and a hot water cooker on it. Even though by my standards the room was small, it was clean and decorated nicely with artwork and plants. There was a hanging plant suspended from the ceiling. We told Mousie and Odette that we had those in America. She told us that plants in your home shows that you have an open heart.

Liz had brought Almond Roca to give as a gift for opening their home to us. Mousie said that even after the Almond Roca was gone, they would keep the box on top of the fridge to remember the time when the two American women came to visit them. Odette and her mom started speaking in Damara. Suddenly Odette went outside and brought back a plant. She told us, "My mom wants me to give this to you. It is the only green one we have right now." It was just so sweet, which was a theme throughout the visit. Odette took us on a tour of where her extended family lived next door. They were also very friendly and it was interesting to see the contrast of living situations. For example, next door they were playing FIFA World Cup on their X-box.

After the wonderful visit, Liz and I went to the BNC. I taught English to my grade 4 and 5 kids, who also had made me cards. We read, did some writing, and I taught my grade 4 students a new song. My grade 4 students love music. I came home a little bit tired, but feeling extremely good about the day.

We had planned to have dinner as a group, just sharing pizza from the place down the street. I was incredibly, pleasantly, surprised though when all of my colleagues showed up in my room singing happy birthday with a lit cake. We ate our pizza and cake and discussed some of the classic lines that we hear from our learners. It was a great ending to a great day. My colleagues made me a card that said, "Would you rather have a birthday or a Namibian birthday?" Hands down I would rather have a Namibian birthday.

1 comment:

  1. Brings tears to my eyes, little one....... You are blessed! And Happy Birthday:)

    ReplyDelete