Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Zonal Athletics: Show Us What You Got!

Monday was the Zonal Athletic competition for Steenkamp and many other competing primary schools. We arrived at Steenkamp at our normal time and collected the competing athletes. The athletes who qualified were the ones who got first our second during our athletics. I had many learners competing, so it was incredibly fun to watch. During the school-wide athletics, we had walked to the stadium. However, during zonals the stadium was far away, so we had to take the school "bus." The Steenkamp bus is really a 16 passenger van, so we had to take two trips plus learners piled into the back of one of the Head of Department's pickup. As I waited for the bus to come I noticed that my class did not have a teacher for the day because both my teacher and I were going to athletics. 

We ended up getting everybody there. The stadium was very nice and big and there were about twelve other teams competing. Our school was the only school who did not have uniforms. It was kind of strange seeing a German school, who had predominantly white learners participating. They not only had uniforms, but they also had spiked shoes and starting blocks. One of my learners noticed this and said, "Miss, did you see there are people with your color skin who have spiked shoes. You must get for me." I told him that it was faster to run barefooted and his face lit up. We may not have had the equipment, but we had spirit, yes we did. It also helped that the night before we had a sign-making party, so during athletics there were signs for our learners to hold up. 

Two of my homeroom learners before school started

Some of my learners holding up the signs

One of my 5D learners, Wrechell, who is a fellow shot putter
One of the German learners competes in long jump
One of the grade 7 Steenkamp learners competing in long jump
 During this competition, we did not have to work. Therefore, we all had fun going around and watching our athletes compete, cheering, and "capturing" pictures. I got to see my learners compete in long jump, high jump, shot put, running, and hurdles.

A Steenkamp learner, who ended up taking first in the 75 m hurdles


My learners worked hard and competed well. We left before the competition ended, but I do not think we won. We had some great performances though and I loved watching and cheering on my learners. The competition took a break and the learners got a lunch break, which Hungry Lion (KFC equivalent) was provided for all of the learners. It was well-earned treat that the learners enjoyed. As I was sitting with my learners, they asked me if I would sing for them. So we sang the paddle song and the Schoolhouse Rock noun song that I had also taught them. It broke my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment