Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Better Version of the Lion King

Yesterday we went on our first game drive at the Okapuka Ranch. Sometimes on our trip it does not even seem like we are in Africa. For example, on our hike the scenery could have been in the United States. However, when we pulled into the park and saw giraffes out the window. I knew I was in Africa. We drove around the 20,000 acre park in a windowless and roofless vehicle. So we all scrambled from side to side getting pictures of the animals.

First we drove up to a watering hole and saw two crocodiles just bathing in the sun.


Warthogs or Pumbas then also came to the watering hole and there were baby ones that were just two weeks old. They ate the grass that was around us, but it was kind of funny because they go down on their "knees" to eat the grass.



During the drive I found myself unconsciously humming the theme to Jurassic Park, because I felt like I was getting to see something spectacular. There were fields where all of the animals were together and living. They didn't seem to pay very much attention to us. One of my favorite animals was the giraffes. We got pretty close to them and they stared at us as much as we stared at them.





After the giraffes we went into a field where there were rhinos up ahead. Our guide got out and threw food all around our truck. Then the rhinos came towards us. We were within arms reach of a rhino. Our guide told us it was okay to touch, so I touched its horn. It was very cool. Seeing and touching the rhinos was probably my favorite part of the game drive.
Unfortunately at this point my camera died, so I will have to get pictures from others later. But after the rhinos we saw a herd of elan, which are kind of like antelope. We also ran into the other tour group, who told us that   they had seen a wildebeest that had just been born and its mom had left it. Jackals had been approaching and they had to chase them off with the land rover. We got to where the wildebeest was and it was still wet and the umbilical cord was still attached. It was walking though, which was amazing considering it had been born minutes before. It called out, what sounded like "Mom." It was very sad. Our guide assured us that someone was on the way and they would give it milk and  then return it to the group. When we got back we heard that the baby wildebeest's mother had come back for it. 

We ate at the game range and I had the game lasagna. I asked what kind of game meat it had in it and our waitress told us, "It is what you call minced?" She said it was probably springbok (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springbok) and orek (the national animal of Namibia). It was actually really delicious though. It had a little sweeter and lighter taste to it. I also had some ice cream, which was delicious. It tasted more like frosting, I think because they use real sugar. 

It was a great day. I am so excited to have seen all of those animals and I look forward to seeing more when we go up north. 

Cinnamon has just provided me with the following pictures. She took the picture of me with the giraffe pooping because she said it matched my personality. 




1 comment:

  1. You are so lucky to see rhino!!! I am so glad you are having a great Africa experience. Love the pics of baby Pumbaas too.
    Love, Sharonne

    ReplyDelete