Monday, January 30, 2012

Sights at Etosha!

So I am incredibly behind on my blogging. This weekend we went to the Zebra River Lodge and the sand dunes, and last weekend was the first week we were in the schools. I need to finish up with our week up North, which ended with Etosha National Park.
This is a hornbill, the type of bird Zazoo is in the Lion King.
We almost witnessed the mating of giraffes, but I guess us watching killed the mood. 
In Namibia, Zebra are pronounced Zeb-ra. 

So I know jackals are supposed to be vicious, but I thought they were really cute. Except when they were running all around our hotel. Cinnamon and I were coming back from the watering hole and one was coming towards us and so we ran into the alcove where Cinnamon's room was. We fumbled with the keys and barely made it in the room before it was upon us. Linnea said she ran into one and made funny faces at it and it went away.

Ostrich, plus babies. 

Baby wildebeest

We saw several lions all together, but they were sleepy and did not do a whole lot. This one at least got up enough for a couple of pictures. 

The watering hole at our hotel at night. We heard many animal noises and saw an owl up in the tree above us. It looked like a barn animal to me. We also saw a ferret/cat like animal. 

Chameleon at our hotel. We saw it change colors before our eyes. 

Photo courtesy of Rayna McMullen. Seeing a leopard is supposedly very rare, a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence!
Look back tomorrow for a post on my time this weekend at Zebra River Lodge and the sand dunes!

No comments:

Post a Comment