Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I did on my Christmas Vacation . . .

While the rest of PLU returns to class tomorrow after winter break, I will be hanging around campus working and preparing for when I leave on Friday. People on campus will continually ask and be asked "How was your break?" and "What did you do during break?"

Well, this is what I did on my break. After finals I flew home to Minnesota, where I was a little disappointed to find that there was no snow. It snowed a little bit while I was there, but nothing stuck. While I was home, I got to see some of my friends, made several gingerbread houses and even a gingerbread tree, and saw a couple of movies.

On Christmas Eve, my family and I flew out to spend Christmas with my family in Washington. When we visit we usually stay at my grandma's house, but since there were so many of us visiting we actually rented a house. In addition to my family, my aunt and uncle came up from Tennessee, and my other grandma came up from Oregon. So it was quite the family gathering. 

The house we were staying at had interesting taste in decorating. There were several taxidermy animals, including a coyote, fish, deer, and a very large elk head. In the room I stayed in there was a hand chair that my nine-year-old cousin said "was just like in New York," The house also had a bust of Jerry Garcia from the Grateful Dead.  Although we found the decorations to be rather strange, we still had fun posing with them. Below is a picture of my family in front of the animals, my brother wrassling with the coyote, and me whispering sweet nothings into the ear of the elk. 


Oh, and the TV was in the fireplace. But while we weren't wondering about the decor, we had fun playing games and hanging out. One day I went to see The Nutcracker done by the Pacific Northwest Ballet with my grandma, two of my cousins, and my mom. Here is a picture of my cousin throwing a shoe at the Rat King. 
It ended up being a pretty good break and each day was a countdown until Namibia, which is now three days away!

1 comment:

  1. Glad the gingerbread houses AND the taxidermy houses made it on to the blog. Miss you already! xoxo Sarah

    ReplyDelete